Daulatabad tijdens India 2012 – 2013

 photo 20121219TheFontryDroemingNormal.jpg


De dag was erg druk.
eerst de rit naar Ellora.
Dan het bezichtigen van de grotten in warm weer.
Dan het bezoek aan het graf van Aurangzeb en nu
het bezoek van Daulatabed.
We hebben daar maar een heel klein deel van gezien.
Daulatabad is een enorm fort.
Het bestaat uit meerdere ringen met verdedigingsmuren,
poorten, poortgebouwen, versterkingen, slotgrachten,
loopgraven, koningklijke vertrekken (paleis), stallen,
moskeeen, doolhoven, in rotsen uitgehakte ravijnen.
Bedenk het, en het is er.
Vergelijkbaar met Golconda. Beide lijken in onze ogen
meer op een ommuurde stad dan een fort.
Wij waren moe en hebben dus maar een klein stukje gezien.
Bij het bezoeken van het fort ga je eerst heuvel op…..
De volgende foto’s zijn er gemaakt.

 photo DSC_0628Sign.jpg

Daulatabad

Built by the Yadava King of Bhillama V in the 12th century AD this fort was previously known as Devgiri. After the conquest of Devgiri in 1296 AD by Allauddin Khilji, for many years it remained as a principle stronghold. In 1327 AD Sultan Mohammed-bin Tughlak moved his capital from Delhi to Devgiri and renamed it Daulatabad or ‘City of Fortune’.

The defence system that made Daulatabad virtually impregnable comprise of fortifications with double and even triple rows of massive walls. In addition, there are ingeniously built mazes with a complex arrangement of entryways and deep rock-cut moats and trenches which can be crossed only at one point, over a drawbridge. Defence mechanism of rock-cut sub-terranean passage is unbelievable.

Within the fort are the 70-metre high Chand Minar and the royal palaces. Of all palaces here, the Baradari was the favourite summer residence of the Moghal emperors.

Heel korte Nederlandse samenvatting:
Het fort is gebouwd door koning Bhillama V in de 12e eeuw na Christus.
De originele naam is Devgiri en na de verovering van het fort in 1327
door Sultan Mohammed-bin Tughlak kreeg het zijn huidige naam.
Daulatabad betekent ‘Stad van geluk’.
In het fort staat de 70 meter hoge minaret ‘Chand Minar’.


 photo DSC_0629DeTopInDeVerteHoortErOokBij.jpg

Dit geeft een beetje een beeld van de omvang van Daulatabad. Die top die onder de boom nog net te zien is maakt net als de muur op de voorgrond deel uit van het fort. Het is enorm.


 photo DSC_0630Entree.jpg

De entree. Hier begint het allemaal.


 photo DSC_0631.jpg

Het fort hangt vol met machtige deuren.


 photo DSC_0631Detail.jpg

Een detail.


 photo DSC_0632.jpg


 photo DSC_0633VeelPrachtigePoorten.jpg

Heel veel prachtige poorten, poortgebouwen enz.


 photo DSC_0633VeelPrachtigePoortenDetail.jpg

Ik ben gek op deuren, hier een detail.


 photo DSC_0634.jpg


 photo DSC_0635MachtigeDeur.jpg

Machtige deur.


 photo DSC_0635MachtigeDeurDetail.jpg

Maar altijd weer mooi versierd. Geen kans wordt onbenut gelaten.


 photo DSC_0637EenTrotseToren.jpg

Een trotse toren, geweldig uitgevoerd.

 photo DSC_0637EenTrotseTorenMetUitkijkPost.jpg

De uitkijkpost.

 photo DSC_0637EenTrotseTorenSierlijkRaampje.jpg

Een wel heel sierlijk raam.


 photo DSC_0638VersieringVanEenPoort.jpg

Versiering van een poort in steen.

 photo DSC_0639.jpg


 photo DSC_0640VeelRestauratiesOnderweg.jpg

Er waren veel restauraties onderweg met prachtige resultaten.


 photo DSC_0641.jpg


 photo DSC_0642.jpg


 photo DSC_0643ZomaarEenGebouwtje.jpg

Zomaar een gebouwtje in een muur,….

 photo DSC_0643ZomaarEenGebouwtjeMetZomaarEenPaaltje.jpg

…met zomaar een paaltje op de stoep.


 photo DSC_0644VerderDanDezePoortenZijnWeNietGekomen.jpg

Verder dan dit poortcomplex met dubbele poorten zijn we niet gekomen.


Het lettertype in de titel van 19 december 2012 is van The Fontry en heet Droeming Normal.

India 2012 – 2013: Deel 22

 photo 20121219TheFontryDroemingNormal.jpg


Woensdag 19 december 2012

 photo Gmail.jpg

Vandaag een super dag gehad!
We hadden drie dingen op de agenda:
1) Ellora
2) een dorp met het graf van Aurangazeb
3) Daulatabad fort.

Ellora is prachting.
Het zijn zo’n 35 grottempels en kloosters.
Uitgehouwen in de berg.
Fantastisch.
Maar je kunt hier makkelijk 2 dagen doorbrengen.
We hebben zo’n 6 of 7 van de tempels gezien.

Aurangazeb was een Moslim keizer in India.
Zijn graf is erg bescheiden maar het dorp is prachtig.

Het fort is enorm groot.
We zijn er in gelopen maar hebben het niet tot de top gehaald.
Dat was later op de dag in de warmte niet meer te doen.

L. zit nu op de ‘lawn’ (in de tuin).
Die wordt door niemand in het hotel
behalve door de werkmensen en ons gebruikt.
Ze gebruiken dit grasveld alleen bij groter feesten en partijen
maar het is er rustig en er is schaduw.

Ik ga daar zometeen ook weer terug naar toe.

Morgen vertrekken we naar Ajanta.
Ajanta en Ellora zijn samen een World Heritage Site.

Genoeg voor vandaag.
Moet nog een en ander op het internet uitzoeken
voor de komende dagen.

Groeten,


De tekst die hierboven staat is uit een e-mail die ik 19 december 2012
verstuurde naar het thuisfront.
Drie onderwerpen waarvan twee met veel foto’s.
Alles bij elkaar 120 stuks alleen al voor Ellora.
Dat is een beetje te veel voor 1 blog.
Dus ga ik dat in kleinere groepen indelen.

Laat me beginnen met een eerste serie van het prachtige Ellora.


 photo DSC_0487.jpg

Cave 16, Kailasha, ligt in de verte aan de voet van de heuvel.


 photo DSC_0487Ellora.jpg

Even wat dichterbij gehaald.


 photo DSC_0488.jpg

Apen wachten ons op.


 photo DSC_0489.jpg

Cave 16, Kailasha.

Cave 16

Direct vertalen naar het Nederlands zou ‘grot 16’ opleveren.
Maar dat doet tekort aan deze rotstempels.
In plaats van tempels te bouwen van steen,
groef men tempels uit in de heuvels.
Bij Ellora zijn er 34 kloosters en tempels uit de rotsen gehouwen.
Ze zijn te vinden over een traject van meer dan 2 kilometer.
Er zijn Boeddhistische, Hindoe en Jain tempels


Tekst van de toelichting bij Cave 16:

The Kailasha is a great monolithic rock cut temple isolated from the surrounding rock and excavated from top to bottom and scooped out all through from outside to inside. It is said that ten generations worked for it and took more than 200 years for its completion. The temple was planned and begun under the Rastrakuta king Dantidurga (735-757 AD) and the major work went on in the reign of Krishna I (757-773 AD).
The artistic activities of Kailasha were carried out in several phases and spread over many reigns of the Rastakuta rulers. This cave is locally known as Kailasha, the abode of Siva the patron deity of the temple. Kailasha is a temple complex, with all essential elements of temple, including main shrine, Nandi shrine, gateway, surrounding cloisters and subsidiary shrines. The temple is richly carved with niches, pilasters, windows and corniches. The whole temple is decorated with gigantic images of deities, amorous couples, friezes of epic scenes alongwith faunal, floral and geometrical designs.
After completion of the temple there is evidence of renewed plaster and painting in about 9th – 11th centuries AD.
Various sculptures carved here in the temple are not there by accident but by deliberate design. Every sculpture has a meaning and a purpose. The two elephants and free standing Pillars of Victory in courtyard reflect Rashtrakuta’s supremacy and power. The figures of Sankha-Nidhi, Padma-Nidhi and the panel of Gajalaxmi in courtyard symbolize their prosperity. While the figures of river goddess Ganga, Yamuna, Saraswati, symbolize the Purity, Devotion and Knowledge respectively.
The enormous animals supporting the superstructure of Kailasha show the great importance given for the animal world in the Hindu mythology. The whole temple complex is surrounded by a raised pillar corridor decorated with huge panels of mythological stories.

 

The main temple is called as Rang-Mahal (Painted Palace) because after its completion, the temple was plastered and painted. Rang-Mahal is rectangular on plan. The 7 meter high plinth is decorated with life size elephants and mythical animals and friezes illustrating two great epics. Ramayana and Mahabharatha. The main temple has a Vadya Mandapa, Nandi Mandapa, a pillared hall, an antechamber and a small sanctum surrounded by five subsidiary shrines (Panchayatana). The ceilings of the sanctum, antechamber and the hall have pendentive rosettes, goddess Anna-Purna and Dancing Siva respectively. The whole temple is also decorated with beautiful paintings.
Lankeshvara temple carved on Northern corridor is dedicated to Lord Shiva. The temple consists a pillared hall, an antechamber sanctum and Nandi shrine. On the parapet wall outside is a frieze of amorous coup[les carved in bass relief. The pillars and walls are decorated with a number of interesting panels. The sanctum houses a linga and the back wall is carved with the Maheshmurthi in low relief.


Nederlandse samenvatting:
Kailasha is een tempel en kloostercomplex
dat in zijn geheel uit de rotswand is gehouwen
en vervolgens uitgehold, daar waar nodig.
Er zouden 10 generaties, meer dan 200 jaar aan hebben gewerkt.
Het werk is begonnen onder koning Dantidurga en Krishna.

Alle elementen van een tempelcomplex zijn aanwezig:
een hoofdheiligdom, een heiligdom voor Nandi, een poort,
omringende kloosters en bijbehorende heiligdommen.
Er zijn veel pilaren, doorgangen, nissen, balkons en ramen.
Allemaal rijk versierd met beeldhouwwerk.

Het geheel is versierd met goden, verliefde stellen,
tableau’s met heldenverhalen, ontwerpen
met dierlijke, plantaardige en geometrische vormen.

De beelden staan er niet bij toeval,
ze hebben een betekenis en samenhang.
De olifanten en de Overwinningspilaren
staan voor de macht van het Rashtrakuta koningshuis.

De figuren van Sankha-Nidhi, Padma-Nidhi
en het panel van Gajalaxmi staan voor welvaart.

De goden Ganga, Yamuna en Saraswati, symboliseren respectivelijk
Puurheid, Toewijding en Kennis.

De Rang-Mahal (Beschilderde Paleis) is de hoofdtempel en
heeft een rechthoekige fundering,
de 7 meter hoge muren zijn versierd
met olifanten, mythische dieren en verhalen uit de
Ramayana en de Mahabharatha.
Deze tempel heeft een Vadya Mandapa (een vrijstaande hal met pilaren,
vadya duidt in de richting van muziek),
Nandi Mandapa, een hal met pilaren, een antichambre
en een kleiner heiligdom omringd met 5 andere heiligdommen
(een Panchayatana is een Hindoe tempel met 5 heiligdommen,
typisch gewijd aan Shiva, Vishnu, Devi, Surya en Ganesha).
De plafonds van het heiligdom, de antichambre en de hal
hebben respectievelijk een grote rozett, een afbeeldingen
van de godin Anna-Purna en de dansende Shiva.
De hele tempel is versierd met schilderingen.

De Lankeshvara temple in het noorden is gewijd aan
Lord Shiva.
Deze tempel omvat een hal met pilaren, een antichambre
en een Nandi heiligdom. De tempel heeft een linga
en de achterwand heft een Maheshmurthi (een afbeelding
van Shiva die op zich zelf als heilig wordt beschouwd) in laag reliëf.


Al de foto’s in onderstaande blog komen van Cave 16.
Ik ken te weinig van de Hindoe iconografie om de afbeeldingen
te kunnen duiden.
Fotograferen is er moeilijk op een zonnige dag,
met veel aschaduw, in grotten met soms lange
belichtingstijden en geen statief.
Maar zie de reeks als het verslag van een ontdekkingsreis
waarbij de reis net zo belangrijk is als het doel.

 photo DSC_0490.jpg


 photo DSC_0491.jpg


 photo DSC_0492.jpg


 photo DSC_0493.jpg


 photo DSC_0494.jpg


 photo DSC_0495.jpg

Mahabharatha.


 photo DSC_0496.jpg


 photo DSC_0497.jpg


 photo DSC_0498.jpg

Soms komt er direct zonlicht binnen in de grot en op de foto levert dat deze blauwe verkleuring op.


 photo DSC_0499.jpg


 photo DSC_0503.jpg


 photo DSC_0504.jpg


 photo DSC_0505.jpg


 photo DSC_0506.jpg


 photo DSC_0509.jpg


 photo DSC_0510.jpg


 photo DSC_0511Strijdwagen.jpg

 photo DSC_0511StrijdwagenMetSteigerendPaard.jpg

Het steigerend paard is klein afgebeeld voor de strijdwagen met een godheid of held. Een boogschutter.


 photo DSC_0512.jpg


 photo DSC_0513.jpg


 photo DSC_0514D01.jpg


 photo DSC_0515D01.jpg


 photo DSC_0515D02.jpg


 photo DSC_0515D03.jpg


 photo DSC_0516D.jpg

Ik zie foto’s op het web van mensen die de omringende heuvels belopen en een blik van boven op de tempel kunnen werpen. Wij waren waarschijnlijk zo onder de indruk dat we snel meerdere grotten wilden zien. Dit is de top van de tempel gezien vanaf de begane grond.


 photo DSC_0517.jpg

Nog een beeld van het enorme complex.


Het lettertype in de titel van 19 december 2012 is van The Fontry en heet Droeming Normal.

India 2012 – 2013: deel 6



Op 9 december waren we in Hyderabad.
Hyderabad is een grote stad in centraal India.
De stad heeft een rijke geschiedenis en daarvan
bezochten we drie plaatsen:
de oude binnenstad, het Golconda fort en
de koninklijke graven.

Het is deze necropolis die het onderwerp is van deze blog.

Het was eigenlijk al te laat.
De zon ging al onder.
De grafmonumenten liggen verspreid in een soort park.
Heel af en toe staan er borden die vertellen wie er begraven ligt.
Maar meestal staat er niets bij.

 photo DSC_0092.jpg

 photo DSC_0093.jpg

Het graf van Fatima Sultana. Op de voorgrond, rechts van de traptreden is een tekst te zien. Die kan men ook hieronder lezen.

Tomb of Fatima Sultana

The tomb on the left side of the gateway is popularly known as Tomb of Fatima Sultana, daughter of prince Mohammed Amin and sister of Mohammed Qutb shah (1612 – 1626).
It contains two graves.
One grave contains an inscribed sarcophagus which gives the name of Fatima Sultana besides verses from Holy Quran. The other grave devoid of any name.
It is a small tomb square on plan built over a platform. A shapely dome is built over a square hall.
Two entrance ways are provided for entry into the hall from southern and eastern sides.
Exterior walls of the tomb are decorated with three recessed arches on each side and decorated with creepers and medallions.
Parapet is built over the roof having minarets at the corners.

 photo DSC_0095.jpg

 photo DSC_0096.jpg

 photo DSC_0097.jpg

Qutb Shahi Tombs / de graven van de Qutb Shahi dynastie

Hieronder de tekst over deze graven zoals die
op de Engelstalige Wikipedia site te vinden is.
Gevolgd door een korte Nederlandse vertaling/samenvatting.

The tombs of the Qutb Shahi sultans lie about one kilometer north of Golkonda’s outer wall. These structures are made of beautifully carved stonework, and surrounded by landscaped gardens. All except the last of the Qutb Shahi sultans lie buried here. The galleries of the smaller tombs are of a single storey while the larger ones are two storied. In the centre of each tomb is a sarcophagus which overlies the actual burial vault in a crypt below. The domes were originally overlaid with blue and green tiles, of which only a few pieces now remain. The tombs form a large cluster and stand on a raised platform. The tombs are domed structures built on a square base surrounded by pointed arches, a distinctive style that blends Persian, Pashtun and Hindu forms. The tombs are structures with intricately carved stonework and are surrounded by landscaped gardens.

The tombs were once furnished with carpets, chandeliers and velvet canopies on silver poles. Copies of the Quran were kept on pedestals and readers recited verses from the holy book at regular intervals. Golden spires were fitted over the tombs of the sultans to distinguish their tombs from those of other members of the royal family. Sultan Quli Qutub ul Mulk’s tomb, the style of which sets the example for the tombs of his descendants, is on an elevated terrace measuring 30 meters in each direction. The tomb chamber proper is octagonal, with each side measuring around 10 meters. The entire structure is crowned by a circular dome. There are three graves in this tomb chamber and twenty-one laid out on the surrounding terrace, all of which lack inscription except for the main tomb. The inscription on Sultan Quli’s tomb is in three bands, in the Naskh and Tauq scripts. The inscription refers to Sultan Quli as Bade Malik (Great Master) — the endearing term by which all people of the Deccan used for him. The tomb was built in 1543 A.D. by the Sultan, during his lifetime, as was the custom.

Near the tomb of Sultan Quli is that of his son, Jamsheed, the second in the line of Qutub Shahi sultans. Built in 1550 A.D., this is the only Qutub Shahi tomb which has not been fashioned from shining black basalt. Its appearance, too, is quite unlike the other tombs in the garden — it rises gracefully in two stories, unlike the squat tombs of the other kings. Jamsheed and his son, Subhan’s tomb also does not have any inscriptions. Subhan Quli Qutub Shah ruled for a short time. Subhan’s tomb stands mid-way between the tombs of his father and grandfather. Sultan Ibrahim Quli Qutub Shah’s tomb, built in 1580, after his death, is slightly larger than Sultan Quli’s tomb. Traces of the enameled tiles, which once adorned this mausoleum, can still be seen on the southern wall. The tomb has two graves in the main chamber and 16 on the terrace; some of them probably are those of his six sons and three daughters. There are inscriptions in the Thulth script on all faces of the sarcophagus. The three famous calligraphists — Isphalan, Ismail and Taqiuddin Muhammad Salih — who left a store of Naskh, Tulth and Nastaliq inscriptions on the many Qutub Shahi edifices in the city, were contemporaries of Ibrahim Shah.

Sultan Muhammed Quli Qutub Shah’s mausoleum is considered the grandest of the Qutub Shahi tombs. Built in 1602 A.D., the tomb is on a terrace of 65m square and 4m high. A flight of steps leads to the mausoleum proper, which is 22 m square on the outside and 11 m square on the inside. There are entrances on the southern and eastern sides. The tomb is in a vault below the terrace. Inscriptions in Persian and the Naskh scripts decorate it.

Another grand mausoleum is that of the sixth sultan, Muhammed Qutub Shah. The facade of this tomb was once decorated with enameled tiles; only traces are now evident. There are six graves with inscriptions in Tulth and Naskh. The mausoleum was built in 1626. Sultan Abdullah Qutub Shah’s tomb is the last of the royal tombs, as Abul Hasan Qutub Shah (Tana Shah), the last Qutub Shahi Sultan, was a prisoner in the fortress of Daulatabad, near Aurangabad, where he died.

While the tombs of those who ruled dominate the area, interspersed are many other monuments, most of them tombs of other members of the royal family. The tomb of Fatima Sultan, with its bulbous dome, is near the entrance to the tomb-garden. Fatima was the sister of Muhammed Qutub Shah. Her tomb houses several graves, two with inscriptions. The mausoleum which Abdul Hasan, the last Qutub Shahi Sultan, began building for himself, actually houses the grave of Mir Ahmed, the son of Sultan Abdullah’s son-in-law and the sister of Abbas II Safair, the Shah of Persia. The tomb of Fadma Khanum, one of Sultan Abdullah’s daughters, stands near the mausoleum of her husband, Mir Ahmed. Hers is the only Qutub Shahi tomb not surmounted by a dome.

To the west of the tombs lies the dargah of Hazrat Hussain Shah Wali, the revered Sufi saint. He is most affectionately remembered by people as the builder of Hussain Sagar in 1562. Among other monuments in the garden that are not tombs, the most important are the mortuary bath and the Masjid of Hayat Bakshi Begum.

The mortuary bath, which stands opposite the tomb of Muhammad Quli, was built by Sultan Quli to facilitate the ritual washing of the bodies of the dead kings and others of the royal family before they were carried to their final resting place. The bath is one of the finest existing specimens of ancient Persian or Turkish baths. The Qutub Shahis built a number of masjids all over Golkonda and Hyderabad, and almost every tomb has a masjid adjacent. The biggest and the grandest such masjid is by the mausoleum of Hayat Bakshi Begum. Popularly known as the great masjid of the Golkonda tombs, it was built in 1666 A.D. Fifteen cupolas decorate the roof and the prayer-hall is flanked by two lofty minarets. The impression, as a whole, is one of majesty and splendour. The inscriptions in the masjid are in calligraphic art. The tomb-garden of the sultans of Golkonda was known as Lagar-e-Faiz Athar (a place for bountiful entertainment) in the days of the Qutub Shahi rulers.

Nederlandse samenvatting:
De grafmonumenten van de Qutb Shahi sultans liggen op ongeveer een kilometer van de noordelijke buitenmuur van het Golkonda fort. De Qutb Shahi sultans regeerde een gebied in centraal India van 1518 – 1689. Hun thuisbasis was Golkonda en Hyderabad.

De zeven sultans waren:
Sultan Quli Qutb-ul-Mulk (1518–1543)
Jamsheed Quli Qutb Shah (1543–1550)
Subhan Quli Qutb Shah (1550)
Ibrahim Quli Qutb Shah (1550–1580)
Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah (1580–1612)
Sultan Muhammad Qutb Shah (1612–1626)
Abdullah Qutb Shah (1626–1672)
Abul Hasan Qutb Shah (1672–1689)

Alle sultans liggen hier begraven behalve de laatste. Die stierf in gevangenschap in het Daulatabad fort.
Kleine grafmonumenten bestaan uit een enkele verdieping terwijl de grote grafmonumenten uit twee verdiepingen bestaan met daarboven een grote koepel. De monumenten staan op een platform. De gebouwen zijn soms rijk versierd en bevatten puntige boogconstructies waarin Perzische, Pashtun en Hindoe-invloeden te herkennen zijn. In het midden van het monument staat een sarcofaag die boven de werkelijke begraafplaats staat. De werkelijke begraafplaats is in de crypte onder het gebouw.
De koepels waren origineel bedekt met groen en blauw geglazuurde tegels.

In de tijd dat de monumenten werden aangelegd waren de monumenten voorzien van tapijten, kroonluchters en fluwelen luifels op zilveren tentstokken. Kopieën van de Koran werden er bewaard op sokkels en lezers lazen er verzen uit voor op gezette tijden. Gouden torens werden aangebracht op de graven van de sultans om hun graven te onderscheiden van die van andere leden van de koninklijke familie.

Het monument voor Sultan Quli Qutub ul Mulk is het voorbeeld voor de monumenten die daarna gebouwd worden. De inscriptie op het graf van Sultan Quli is in drie delen, in de Naskh en Tauq taal/schrift. De inscriptie verwijst naar Sultan Quli als Bade Malik (Grote Meester) – de vertederende aanspreektitel voor alle inwoners van de Deccan. Het graf werd gebouwd in 1543 AD door de sultan, tijdens zijn leven, zoals de gewoonte was.

Sultan Muhammed Quli Qutub Sjah’s mausoleum wordt beschouwd als de grootste van de Qutub Shahi grafmonumenten. Het is gebouwd in 1602 na Christus. Het grafmonument is gebouwd op een terras van 65m vierkante meter dat 4 meter hoog is. Een trap leidt naar het mausoleum. Het feitelijke graf is in een kluis onder het terras.

Het mortuarium bad, dat staat tegenover het graf van Mohammed Quli, werd gebouwd door Sultan Quli om het ritueel wassen van de lichamen van de doden koningen en anderen van de koninklijke familie te vergemakkelijken voordat ze werden meegenomen naar hun laatste rustplaats. Het bad is een van de mooiste, nog bestaande exemplaren van oude Perzische en Turkse baden.

 photo DSC_0098.jpg

Big Well (Badi Bowti)

This well is altogether remarkable structure amnd has the usual slpings platform for the traffic of bull oks when drawing water on which there are number of stone pillars over which grapevines were trained making a cover to the platform.
The well is built in square shape with steps leading down to a corridor extending all around the well about 30 feet from the top of the wall. Below this again, there is a another flight of steps leading down to a bathing stage.
The depth of water in the well is about 100 feet.
During Qutb Shahi and Asaf Jahi period water was supplied to the adjacent garden through open channels and cisterns located in the corner of the chaman and lawns. There are 5 wells in total are existing in the premises:
1. Nawab Bowli
2. Doodh Bowli
3. Idgah Bowli
4. Kunwan Bowli
5. Badi Bowli (Bigg well)
The source of permanent water supply to this historical garden, located in Jubilee Hills known as “Durg Tank” through open channel 7 km in length. The water was supplied to these wells and distributed through small channels in the garden by gravity.

 photo DSC_0100.jpg

Vrij vertaald: Verboden te zwemmen in de bron. Het is er erg gevaarlijk en diep.

 photo DSC_0101.jpg

 photo DSC_0102.jpg

 photo DSC_0103.jpg

 photo DSC_0104.jpg

 photo DSC_0105.jpg

 photo DSC_0106.jpg

 photo DSC_0107.jpg

 photo DSC_0108.jpg

 photo DSC_0109.jpg

 photo DSC_0111.jpg

 photo DSC_0112.jpg

 photo DSC_0113.jpg

The Great Mosque

This splendid mosque was built by Hayat Baksh Begum in 1077 A.H. (1666 AD) during the reign of Abdoullah Qutb Shah.
The prayer hall (76 Ft x 51 Ft.) is three bays deep and has a five arched façade flanked by two tall minars the shapely pointed arches with the ogle point placed on substantial columns, the shapely minarets and restrained stucco decoration are chief architectural features.
The inscription in the prayer niche is carved in the best thulth (? Wikipedia: Thuluth is a script variety of Islamic calligraphy invented by the Persian Ibn Muqlah Shirazi, which made its first appearance in the 11th century CE) and tauqi style.
Translation of two inscription on facade hasten to say our prayers:

Lest ye miss them and hasten to repent
Lest ye perish

Dept. of Archaeology and museums, Govt of A.P.

 photo DSC_0114SyedAliAsgarBilgramiLandmarksOfTheDeccanAComprehensiveGuideToTheArchaeologicalRemainsOfTheCityAndSuburbsOfHyderabad.jpg

Fragment, hetzelfde als beschreven in bovenstaande Engelse tekst,
uit een boek van Syed Ali Asgar Bilgrami:
Landmarks of the Deccan, a comprehensive guide to the archaeological remains
of the city and suburbs of Hyderabad.

 photo DSC_0115.jpg

De gebouwen zijn prachtig.
Zeker met het zacht zonlicht met rood/oranje tonen.
We zullen in deze vakantie nog meer grafmonumenten zien.
Mij is de ontwikkeling in die gebouwen nog niet helemaal duidelijk.
Wel is het zo dat de leden van de koniklijke familie
al tijdens hun leven begonnen aan de bouw en aanleg van de graven
en de moskee die daarbij hoorde.
Bijzonder was hier voor mij een gebouw dat bedoeld was als wasruimte.
Wasruimte voor het dode lichaam.
Water is iets dat veel moeite kost om aan te komen, vandaar
het systeem van kanalen om water vanuit de bergen naar
de bronnen hier bij het fort en de begraafplaats te brengen.

 photo DSC_0116.jpg

 photo DSC_0117.jpg

 photo DSC_0118.jpg